The Lincroft Fire Company was organized in May of 1932 by a group of enthusiastic and persistent individuals who saw the need for fire protection in the growing residential area from the Newman Springs Bridge (Route 520) west to the Holmdel boundary at Everett Road and from the Swimming River North to what is now the Garden State Parkway. This area had been previously served by Middletown Fire Company No. 1, River Plaza Hose Company, Holmdel Fire Company, and the Westside Hose Company of Red Bank.


Robert Cook of Tinton Falls, who owned property in Lincroft, was one of the key people that organized the fire company. He would later go on to organize the Northside Fire Company of Tinton Falls.


Lincroft Fire Company was admitted to the Middletown Township Fire Department in 1934. The department is one of the largest volunteer fire departments in the country with 11 stations, more than 40 pieces of apparatus and over 400 active firefighters.


The lot where the firehouse currently stands was purchased from J.E.C. Layton for $500.00. The original building was constructed in 1936. The first mortgage for the building was $5,500.00.


The firehouse was designed by Oscar Silverstone of Brooklyn, and was built by Edward S. Klausner. Additions were added in 1960 and 1987.


Since the Lincroft Fire Company was formed in 1932, the community has undergone significant growth in both residential and commercial properties. The response area covered by the Lincroft Fire Company now includes Brookdale Community College, Christian Brothers Academy, Lincroft Elementary School, St. Leo the Great Elementary School and Oak Hill Academy plus several pre-school facilities.


Corporations such as AT&T, Lucent Technologies, Telcordia Technologies, Avaya and many other office buildings have been built in the Lincroft Fire Company response area over the years. In addition to the commercial properties, Bamm Hollow Country Club, Thompson County Park, Sunnyside Recreation Area along with a few Township parks for youth baseball, soccer and other recreation activities have been developed here.


Over the years, four senior citizen residential facilities have also been constructed in Lincroft. Luftman Towers and De La Salle Hall were built in the 70’s and Sunrise Assisted Living and Luftman Pavilion in the 2000’s. Combined, they are home to more than three hundred seniors.


The Lincroft Fire Company also responds to vehicle fires and other emergencies on the Garden State Parkway and provides backup support to neighboring communities when needed.  


The company has had many different vehicles in service over the years as described below.  


1933 Brockway Pumper

193? Packard Hose Car                                     

1941 Pirsch Pumper

1954 Great Eastern Pumper

1955 Oren Pumper

1966 Mack Pumper

1966 Dodge Brush Truck

1974 Young Pumper

1979 Dodge Brush Truck

1987 Seagrave 100’ Ladder Truck

1991 Pierce Pumper

2001 E-One Tower Ladder

2003 Ford Brush Truck


Middletown Township Fire Department Chiefs from the Lincroft Fire Company  


1944 - James Hennehand

1954 - Garett Corson

1963 - John C. Fowler

1974 - George C. Richdale

1985 - Austin B. McKnight

1996 - Dennis W. Fowler

2007 – William D. Kennelly, Jr

2018 - Ryan Clarke.  


The first chief officer from Lincroft was James Hennehand who replaced Henry Carney, who was called up to the armed services.  


The second chief was Garrett Corson who replaced Gerald Dominion who died in the line of duty.  


The third chief, John C. Fowler, was credited with saving the old Leonardo High School in which one wing was destroyed in March of 1963.  


George C. Richdale was one of the founders of the Middletown Township Fire Academy. The MTFD Fire Academy is now considered one of the premier emergency services training facilities in the State.  


Some Help from Our Friends  


The Lincroft Fire Company is fortunate to have a very dedicated Ladies Auxiliary that performs fund raising events, coordinates social activities and supports the firefighters at large structure fires with refreshments. We are very grateful for everything they do!  


We also enjoy a tremendous working relationship with our neighboring companies within the Middletown Township Fire Department and our surrounding communities. In addition to firefighting, the company often responds to assist the Lincroft First Aid & Rescue Squad and they are typically dispatched to support the fire company as well. The Lincroft First Aid Squad was originally organized by members of the Lincroft Fire Company in 1953 and have continued a strong bond ever since.  

History of The Fire Company